To view graphic version of this page, refresh this page (F5)

Skip to page body
  • go to google translator
  • contact us

Landmark Designation Work Program

Upcoming Events   Subscribe to this RSS feed.

Got Feedback?

Want to know how Landmark designation might affect a future change to your property? Want to share the history of your building or neighborhood?

Click below to send feedback, questions, or additional information directly to project planners.


Send Email

Historic Preservation: Landmark Designation Program

Overview

On June 15, 2011, the Historic Preservation Commission adopted its Landmark Designation Work Program. The Historic Preservation Commission’s current Landmark Designation Work Program includes 18 individual properties and three historic districts under consideration for landmark designation. As staff to the Historic Preservation Commission, the Planning Department is conducting additional research, documentation, and public outreach related to these proposed designations. This outreach is funded, in part, by a grant from Preserve America.

Landmarks and Landmark Districts are unique and irreplaceable assets to the City and its neighborhoods and provide examples of the physical surroundings in which past generations lived. The intent of Landmark designation is to protect, preserve, enhance and encourage continued utilization, rehabilitation and, where necessary, adaptive use of significant cultural resources.

To be recommended by the Historic Preservation Commission for landmark designation, buildings, districts, places, structures, or objects must demonstrate value as an example of city, state or national heritage such as: a site of a significant historic event, identification with a significant person, exemplary architecture, work of master architect or designer, representation of a significant theme, and a unique or distinctive visual feature. Included on the current Work Program are properties that address underrepresented Landmark property types including landscapes, buildings of Modern design, buildings located in geographically underrepresented areas, and properties with strong cultural or ethnic associations.

Formal initiation of properties on the Work Program will be considered at future public hearings after the additional research and public outreach has been completed. The landmark designation process includes a series of public hearings at the Historic Preservation Commission, the Planning Commission and the Board of Supervisors – public comment opportunities are available at all hearings. Final approval of a Landmark or Landmark District requires a majority vote at the Board of Supervisors.

In 2011-2012, the Planning Department will meet with property owners and will host a series of meetings and events related to Landmark designations. To receive advance notice of these events and future Commission hearings related to Landmark designation, please subscribe to the RSS feed of our Upcoming Events above.

To learn more about existing or proposed Landmarks or Landmark Districts, contact Preservation Planner Mary Brown at (415) 575-9074 or mary.brown@sfgov.org

Proposed Landmark Districts

Duboce Park Landmark District
Golden Gate Park Landmark District
Market Street Masonry Landmark District
Duboce Park
Landmark District

Approved June 28, 2013!
Golden Gate Park
Landmark District

Coming soon.
Market Street Masonry
Landmark District


Proposed Individual Landmarks

Cowell House

 
Cowell House, 171 San Marcos Avenue

Built in 1933, the Cowell House is the first known Modern residential building in San Francisco. It was designed by the architects Morrow (Irving) & Morrow (Gertrude), the designers of the Golden Gate Bridge. It reflects an early fusion of International Style, Streamline Moderne, and Second Bay Tradition.

Contact: Mary Brown, Preservation Planner, San Francisco Planning Department (415) 575-9074 or mary.brown@sfgov.org


Sam Jordan’s Bar, 4004 Third Street

 
Sam Jordan’s Bar, 4004 Third Street

Sam Jordan’s Bar is significant due to its association with the late Sam Jordan, a prominent African American community leader, Golden Gloves champion, pioneering African American business owner along the Third Street corridor in the Bayview District, and the first African American candidate for Mayor of San Francisco (1963). In 1959, Mr. Jordan opened Sam Jordan’s Bar in a c.1880’s building that was originally constructed adjacent to the corrals, slaughterhouses, and tanneries associated with “Butchertown.”

The bar is still in operation and is one of the oldest continuously operating African American businesses along the Third Street corridor. Sam Jordan’s Bar was known as an organizing space and catalyst for community-based initiatives and was part of network of African American bars and restaurants that served dual roles as neighborhood-serving charitable and social organizations.

Contact: Mary Brown, Preservation Planner, San Francisco Planning Department (415) 575-9074 or mary.brown@sfgov.org

UPDATE: At the June 20, 2012 hearing, the Historic Preservation Commission initiated designation of 4004-4006 Third Street, Sam Jordan's Bar, as an individual landmark. The Board of Supervisors voted to approve the landmark designation in January 2013. Click here to read more about San Francisco's 263rd landmark: Sam Jordan's Bar Landmark Designation Report.

Russell House, 3778 Washington

 
Russell House, 3778 Washington Street

Built in 1950, 3778 Washington Street is one of only two buildings in San Francisco designed by internally renowned master architect Erich Mendelsohn. It retains high integrity and reflects the influence of International Style and the Second Bay Tradition. It is one of Mendelsohn’s final designs.

Contact: Mary Brown, Preservation Planner, San Francisco Planning Department (415) 575-9074 or mary.brown@sfgov.org


Sailors' Union of the Pacific, 434-450 Harrison Street

 
Sailors' Union of the Pacific, 434-450 Harrison Street

Built in 1950, the Sailors' Union of the Pacific Building was designed as the headquarters for the Sailors Union of the Pacific, as a center of community life, and as a monument to sailors. No other structure in San Francisco so effectively represents the status of seafaring and waterfront labor than the Sailors Union building. The building is significant due to its striking Moderne style and its cultural association with San Francisco's labor movement.

Contact: Mary Brown, Preservation Planner, San Francisco Planning Department (415) 575-9074 or mary.brown@sfgov.org

Congregation Emanu-El School Buildings

 
Congregation Emanu-El School Buildings

Two of the former school buildings associated with Congregation Emanu-El are under consideration for Landmark designation. The original school building at 1337 Sutter Street was constructed in 1910, while the adjacent school annex at 1335 Sutter Street was built in 1918. The annex later housed the Grabhorn Press, a significant printing house. Both buildings are significant for exceptional architecture and for strong cultural associations.

Contact: Matt Weintraub, Preservation Planner, San Francisco Planning Department (415) 575-6812 or matt.weintraub@sfgov.org

Sunshine School, 2728 Bryant Street

 
Sunshine School, 2728 Bryant Street

Built in 1937 as a Works Progress Administration project (WPA), the Sunshine School was originally constructed as a school for disabled children. It was designed by architects Martin Rist, Charles F. Strothoff, Smith O'Brien, and Albert Schroepfer in a Moorish-Byzantine inspired style. The school is significant for its architecture, its association with the WPA, and its association with Franklin Delano Roosevelt's schools for disabled children.

Contact: Mary Brown, Preservation Planner, San Francisco Planning Department (415) 575-9074 or mary.brown@sfgov.org

Samuel Gompers Trade School, 106 Bartlett Street

 
Samuel Gompers Trade School, 106 Bartlett Street

Built in 1937 as a Works Progress Administration project, the Samuel Gompers Trade School was designed in the Streamline Moderne style by architects Masten & Hurd. Influenced by the International Style, the school features striking glass brick-clad stairwell towers. It is currently part of the recently constructed City College Mission Campus complex.

Contact: Mary Brown, Preservation Planner, San Francisco Planning Department (415) 575-9074 or mary.brown@sfgov.org

2 Clarendon Avenue

 
2 Clarendon Avenue

Built in 1956, 2 Clarendon Avenue is a rare example of a single-family residential building designed by the local firm Anshen + Allen. The building, located in the Twin Peaks area, is an excellent and unique example of Modern residential design.

Contact: Mary Brown, Preservation Planner, San Francisco Planning Department (415) 575-9074 or mary.brown@sfgov.org


Doelger Homes Sales Office

 
Doelger Homes Sales Office

Built in 1933 and added to in 1940, 320-326 Judah Street in the Sunset District is the former real estate sales office for residential tract developer Henry Doelger. The building's muscular and eye-catching Streamline Moderne design was an effective marketing tool in promoting Doelger's nearby tract developments.

Contact: Mary Brown, Preservation Planner, San Francisco Planning Department (415) 575-9074 or mary.brown@sfgov.org

UPDATE: At the September 19, 2012 hearing, the Historic Preservation Commission initiated designation of the Doelger Building, 320-326 Judah Street, as an individual landmark. The Board of Supervisors voted to approve the landmark designation in April 2013. Click here to read more about San Francisco’s 265th landmark: Doelger Building Landmark Designation Report.

3655 Clay Street

 
3655 Clay Street

Built in 1941, 3655 Clay Street is an early Second Bay Tradition design by William Wurster, a pioneer of the San Francisco Bay Area's regional Modernism. Its small-scale, rustic cladding, and minimalist detailing are hallmarks of Wurster's unpretentious Modern aesthetic.

Contact: Mary Brown, Preservation Planner, San Francisco Planning Department (415) 575-9074 or mary.brown@sfgov.org


Swedish American Hall, 2168 Market Street

 
Swedish American Hall, 2168 Market Street

Built in 1907, the Swedish American Hall was designed by master architect August Nordin. It continues to serve as a cultural center for the Swedish American community and is significant for its cultural history and chalet-inspired architectural design.

Contact: Moses Corette, Preservation Planner, San Francisco Planning Department (415) 558-6295 or moses.corrette@sfgov.org


Twin Peaks Tavern, 401 Castro Street

 
Twin Peaks Tavern, 401 Castro Street

The Twin Peaks Tavern located at 401 Castro Street is associated with LGBT history. It is known as the first gay bar in San Francisco (opened in 1972) to feature large expanses of glass, which revealed rather than obscured the view of bar patrons. Housed in a remodeled turn-of-the-century building in the heart of the Castro, the bar retains its expansive windows and continues to serve the LGBT community.

Contact: Moses Corette, Preservation Planner, San Francisco Planning Department (415) 558-6295 or moses.corrette@sfgov.org

UPDATE: At the September 19, 2012 hearing, the Historic Preservation Commission initiated designation of 401 Castro Street, Twin Peaks Tavern, as an individual landmark. The Board of Supervisors voted to approve the landmark designation in January 2013. Click here to read more about San Francisco's 264th landmark: Twin Peaks Tavern Landmark Designation Report.

New Era Hall, 2117 Market Street

 
New Era Hall, 2117 Market Street

Built in 1905, the New Era Hall served as a rental hall for fraternal organizations lacking their own meeting spaces. It was designed by master architect August Nordin and is an excellent example of a turn-of-the-century mixed-use building.

Contact: Moses Corette, Preservation Planner, San Francisco Planning Department (415) 558-6295 or moses.corrette@sfgov.org


2173 15th Street

 
2173 15th Street

Built circa 1875, this Gothic-inspired single-family residential building is one of the earliest buildings constructed in the Market and Octavia area.

Contact: Moses Corette, Preservation Planner, San Francisco Planning Department (415) 558-6295 or moses.corrette@sfgov.org


Marcus Books / Jimbo's Bop City, 1714-1716 Fillmore Street

 
Marcus Books / Jimbo's Bop City, 1712-1716 Fillmore Street

Built in the 1880s, 1712-1716 Fillmore Street is significant for its association with Jimbo's Bop City – a legendary jazz club in the Fillmore District (1950-1965) – and Marcus Books, the oldest independent African American bookstore in the country. It represents a tangible connection to the post-war African American experience in the Fillmore, the black intellectualism associated with Marcus Books and the shifts in geography and demographics associated with redevelopment in the Western Addition.

Contact: Mary Brown, Preservation Planner, San Francisco Planning Department (415) 575-9074 or mary.brown@sfgov.org

UPDATE: At the September 18, 2013 hearing, the Historic Preservation Commission initiated designation of 1712-1716 Fillmore Street, Marcus Books/Jimbo's Bop City, as an individual landmark. The Board of Supervisors voted to approve the landmark designation on February 3, 2014. Click here to read more about San Francisco's 266th landmark: Marcus Books / Jimbo's Bop City Tavern Landmark Designation Report

Mothers Building

Fleishhacker Pool Bath House Building

 
Mothers Building and Fleishhacker Pool Bath House Building

Two buildings located in the San Francisco Zoo are proposed for Landmark Designation: the Mothers Building and the Fleishhacker Pool Bath House. Each building was constructed in the 1920s adjacent to the Fleishhacker Pool, an enormous outdoor salt water swimming pool (filled in the 1970s) located in what is now the San Francisco Zoo.

Update: The Fleishhacker Pool Building was badly damaged in a fire on December 3, 2012. The building was identified as a life/safety hazard and demolished soon thereafter. It received HABS documentation prior to demolition.

Contact: Mary Brown, Preservation Planner, San Francisco Planning Department (415) 575-9074 or mary.brown@sfgov.org


Planters Hotel, 606 Folsom Street

 
Planters Hotel, 606 Folsom Street

The Planters Hotel was designed by Salfield and Kohlberg and constructed in 1906. The building is a rare example of commercial and hotel architecture in the South of Market district built immediately after the 1906 Earthquake and Fires. Its wood frame construction, and wood cladding, is also rare as such construction was disallowed in the aftermath of the fires.

Contact: Pilar LaValley, Preservation Planner, San Francisco Planning Department (415) 575-9084 or pilar.lavalley@sfgov.org


Phillips & Van Orden Building, 234 First Street

 
Phillips & Van Orden Building, 234 First Street

Built in 1930, the Phillips & Van Orden Building was designed in the Art Deco style by architects Henry H. Meyers and George R. Klinkhardt. The building is significant for its architecture and for its association with the Phillips & Van Orden Company, an important publisher and printer in San Francisco, itself the most important publishing center in the West, which occupied the building from 1930 to 1947.

Contact: Pilar LaValley, Preservation Planner, San Francisco Planning Department (415) 575-9084 or pilar.lavalley@sfgov.org


Burdette Building, 90 Second Street

 
Burdette Building, 90 Second Street

Constructed just before the 1906 Earthquake and Fires, the two-story, brick masonry, American Commercial style, Burdette Building is a rare survivor of the 1906 Conflagration that destroyed the surrounding neighborhood.

Contact: Pilar LaValley, Preservation Planner, San Francisco Planning Department (415) 575-9084 or pilar.lavalley@sfgov.org


Marine Firemen’s Union Headquarters (Pacific Coast Marine Firemen, Oilers, Watertenders and Wipers Association), 240 Second Street

 
Marine Firemen’s Union Headquarters (Pacific Coast Marine Firemen, Oilers, Watertenders and Wipers Association), 240 Second Street

Built in 1957, the Marine Firemen’s Union Headquarters was designed in the Late Moderne style and includes significant interior and exterior murals. The building continues to serve as the administrative headquarters and hiring hall for the Marine Firemen’s Union, which was founded in 1883 and reorganized in 1907, and is one of the oldest and most important maritime unions based in San Francisco.

Contact: Pilar LaValley, Preservation Planner, San Francisco Planning Department (415) 575-9084 or pilar.lavalley@sfgov.org

Work Program Outreach

The Department notified owners of all properties under consideration for inclusion on the Work Program of the June 15, 2011 HPC hearing. In addition, the Department notified residential tenants of buildings located within the proposed Duboce Park Landmark Historic District and commercial tenants of all mixed-use and commercial properties. The Department also conducted door-to-door outreach to the commercial tenants of the eight buildings that comprise the proposed discontiguous Market Street Masonry Landmark District. Mailings and door-to-door-outreach included the following materials:

  • Notice of Public Hearing
  • Landmark Designation FAQ
  • Existing Landmark Districts brochure
  • Department of Parks & Recreation (DPR)-523B form for each individual commercial building (when applicable)

Additional notifications were mailed to the Board of Supervisors, Planning Commission, city agencies, neighborhood groups and individuals on the neighborhood 311 notification lists, and the preservation community notification list.

Planning Department staff is currently tasked with conducting the required additional research, documentation, and public outreach related to the proposed Landmark designations.

 

This material is based upon work assisted by a grant from the Department of the Interior, National Park Service. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the view of the Department of the Interior.

 
Last updated: 4/10/2014 6:01:18 PM