About San Francisco Planning Department
The San Francisco Planning Department plays a central role in guiding the growth and development in our city.
The department is responsible for:
- reviewing commercial and home project applications;
- maintaining and overseeing compliance with the City’s General Plan;
- preparing and implementing community plans and urban design;
- gathering and analyzing data in support of land-use policy;
- reviewing projects for potential environmental impacts on the City and its residents;
- complying and enforcing the Planning and Zoning Codes;
- and preserving the City’s unique heritage and buildings.
To learn about career opportunities with San Francisco Planning, visit the City’s Employment Opportunities page.
The City and County of San Francisco is committed to equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants. Employees are selected and promoted based on merit and without discrimination. The City encourages women, minorities and persons with disabilities to apply. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, medical condition or pregnancy.