February 1, 2007 Special Meeting
Commission Chambers - Room 416
City Hall, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place
Thursday, February 1, 2007
COMMISSIONERS PRESENT: Alexander, Olague, Antonini, S. Lee, W. Lee, Moore and Sugaya
COMMISSIONER ABSENT: None
THE MEETING WAS CALLED TO ORDER BY PRESIDENT ALEXANDER AT 10:30 A.M.
STAFF IN ATTENDANCE: Dean Macris – Director of Planning, Larry Badiner – Zoning Administrator, Amit Ghosh – Chief Planner, David Alumbaugh, Joshua Switzky, Linda Avery – Commission Secretary.
A. (Tape IA; IB) (D. ALUMBAUGH: (415) 558-6601/J. SWITZKY: (415) 575-6815)
Informational presentation on the Transbay Terminal Project and the Department's program for planning and developing zoning and other implementation programs for the Transbay Terminal District
- Emphasized that this study is to extract more money for the Caltrain station.
- A year ago the plan was to build a bus terminal with the intention to extend the train station as well.
- The City could do more to bring the train to the downtown.
- The terminal tower should be the tallest to get people's attention.
- Expressed concern about potential disconnection of the Planning Department and the Transbay Authority.
- This is an exciting project.
- Suggested that the land not be sold but instead sell the development rights.
- It would create revenue and sustainable funds for affordable housing.
- The power point presentation was very helpful.
- San Francisco is what people read about and enjoy.
- Do not loose the romance [of San Francisco] to experience what is popular.
- Questioned who the proposal is for -- residents of the city or spectators.
- This has implication for the entire city. There is no real world perspective.
- We would not be able to see the city and Bay Bridge.
- There are different climates in the city and sunlight would be obstructed.
- Urge [the city] to have a plan first and then invite developers to join in.
- San Franciscans look at this city in a different way than architects.
- Developers just want popularity from constructing high-rise buildings in San Francisco.
This was an informational hearing only and no Action was required of the Commission.
Adjournment: 12:28 P.M.
THESE MINUTES WERE PROPOSED FOR ADOPTION AT THE REGULAR MEETING OF THE PLANNING COMMISSION ON THURSDAY, June 7, 2007.
AYES: Alexander, Antonini, S. Lee, W. Lee, Moore, Olague, and Sugaya
NOTE: Per Section 67.18 of the Administrative Code for the City and County of San Francisco, Commission minutes contain a description of the item before the Commission for discussion/consideration; a list of the public speakers with names if given, and a summary of their comments including an indication of whether they are in favor of or against the matter; and any action the Commission takes. The minutes are not the official record of a Commission hearing. The audiotape is the official record. Copies of the audiotape may be obtained by calling the Commission office at (415) 558-6415. For those with access to a computer and/or the Internet, Commission hearings are available at www.sfgov.org. Under the heading Explore, the category Government, and the City Resources section, click on SFGTV, then Video on Demand. You may select the hearing date you want and the item of your choice for a replay of the hearing.