39 DIAMOND STREET, east side between Market and 18th Streets, Lot 032 in Assessor's Block 2648 - Mandatory Discretionary Review under the Planning Commission's policy requiring review of residential demolition, of Demolition Permit Application No. 2003.05.09.4176, proposing to demolish a one-story single-family dwelling, located in a RH-3 (Residential, House, Three-Family) District and a 40-X Height and Bulk District.
Preliminary Recommendation: Do not take Discretionary Review and approve demolition.
(+) John Lau - Representing Project Sponsor
- They have been working on this project for two years.
- They have gone through the demolition procedures as well as environmental procedures.
ACTION: Did not take Discretionary Review and approved the demolition
AYES: Alexander, Antonini, Hughes, S. Lee, Olague
ABSENT: Bradford Bell and W. Lee
23b. 2005.0421D (M. SMITH: (415) 558-6322)
39 DIAMOND STREET - east side between Market and 18th Streets, Lot 032 in Assessor's Block 2648 - Mandatory Discretionary Review under the Planning Commission's policy requiring review of new residential building in association with residential demolition, of Building Permit Application No. 2003.05.09.4178, proposing to construct a three-story over garage three-family dwelling, located in a RH-3 (Residential, House, Three-Family) District and a 40-X Height and Bulk District.
Preliminary Recommendation: Do not take Discretionary Review and approve the project as proposed.
SPEAKER(S): See Speakers for Item 23a.
ACTION: Did not take Discretionary Review and approved the project with instructions to continue working with staff on design.
AYES: Alexander, Antonini, Hughes, S. Lee, Olague
ABSENT: Bradford Bell and W. Lee
24. 2004.0398D (R. CRAWFORD: (415) 558-6358)
49 ELK STREET - east side between Sussex and Chenery Streets. Assessor's Block 6709 Lot 028 - Request for Discretionary Review of Building Permit Application No. 2003.1205.1666 to construct two story rear additions to the existing dwelling, in an RH-1 (Residential House, One Family) District, and a 40-X Height and Bulk district.
Preliminary Recommendation: Take Discretionary Review and approve the Project with modifications.
ACTION: Without hearing, item continued to July 7, 2005
AYES: Alexander, Antonini, Hughes, S. Lee, W. Lee
ABSENT: Bradford Bell and Olague
25. 2005.0021D (R. CRAWFORD: (415) 558-6358)
1 PALO ALTO DRIVE (AKA 1 AVANZADA AKA 250 PALO ALTO) - Assessor's Block 2724 Lot 003 - Mandatory Discretionary Review of Building Permit Application Nos. 2004.1105.8607 for installation of an emergency generator and pad with diesel fuel tank for KBHK television, 2004.1220.1816 for installation of an FM antenna for KNGY radio, on the north leg at the third level of Sutro Tower and, 2005.0125.3910 for installation of four receive only satellite dishes for KPIX TV-5. This project lies within the RH-1, Residential House, One Family District and within a 40-X Height and Bulk District.
Preliminary Recommendation: Take Discretionary Review and Approve with Conditions.
(+) Debra Stein
- There are a lot of issues that have been resolved in the last four years.
- Sutro Tower is a shared facility.
- The existing operations are not before the Commission today.
- This project complies with all standards.
- The alterations before the Commission today are minor.
- The antenna will not transmit harmful radiation.
(-) Eileen Bocken
- There are a number of diesel storage facilities at Sutro Tower already.
- There are about 200 antennae already at this location.
- It is not sound policy to have such a high concentration of the City's Telecommunications structures in one location.
- She recommends that this proposal be turned down.
(-) Christine Linenbach - Twin Peaks Improvement Association
- She requested that the City Attorney explain the scope of the appeal that was taken to the California State Court of Appeals.
- The use permit clearly states that Sutro Tower is limited to one tower and one building. Currently the proposal is for two 15-foot diameter satellite dishes on top of a garage that was never part of the Conditional Use permit. And this garage has never received authorization from the Zoning Administrator as being part of the Conditional Use.
- There are several questions of safety. For example, why does the fuel tank have to be installed closest to residential homes and water supplies? Why do the satellite dishes have to be on top of the garage?
- She requested that this hearing be continued so that this case can be heard before the Board of Appeals first and then before the Planning Commission.
(-) Everett Homebolt
- He is opposed to this proposal because he is concerned about the diesel facility.
- He believes that this will be a fire hazard.
- He is concerned about the flammable liquids.
- The affects of long-term exposure have not been fully explored.
- The seismic danger has not been completely discussed either.
(-) Walter Kaplan - Forest Knowles Association
- There was improper notice of this hearing.
- The project description is inaccurate and incomplete, thereby depriving interested parties of proper and adequate notice of the proposed project.
- A CU authorization is required by this project.
- Staff states that this project is exempted from environmental review.
- He has provided the Commission a very important court case which deals with Planning priorities.
- The surrounding areas have hundreds of homes.
- Every addition to this project demands a separate finding.
(+) Jean Sasro - General Manager of Sutro Tower
- There are three phases to this project.
- There are representatives from all three stations here to speak.
- There was a very thorough investigation for the location of the generator and the fuel tank.
- The location is the closes to KBHK so that the lines are as close as possible.
- The satellite antennas are being located on top of the garage so that they will receive signals properly.
(+) Steve Boycons - Station Manager for KBHK-TV
- He has been in television for many years.
- They are part of the CBS team.
- They are planning to expand their coverage.
(+) Joe Balus - KNGY Owner
- He is an independent broadcaster and owner.
- His company has gone through great length to do market research and find out what is underserved.
- The two communities that are underserved are the Chinese and Gay communities.
- The proposal will allow for a better platform and provide better access to the communities.
- He is available for further questions.
(+) Chris Boyle - Chief Marketing Officer of The United Way
- Their partnership with CBS-5 is very important.
- They have a holiday food program, which provides much needed toys and food during the holiday season.
(+) Booker Raid
- Their mission is multiculturalism.
- They have various programs in various locations.
- This has been a tremendously burdensome process.
(+) Bob McCarthy
- The history of the tower is not before the Commission.
- What is before the Commission is just a minor antenna.
- Television plays a major role in communication and not just entertainment.
- It is important to preserve free television in the United States.
ACTION: Took Discretionary Review and Approve with Staff's and Supervisor Elsbernd Conditions:
· Tank Design: The above-ground fuel tank shall be double-walled, have double-walled piping, and have an automatic 24 hour sensor that will sound an alarm in the event of any leak.
· Certified Operator: Sutro Tower, Inc. shall designate an operator who possesses a current certificate issued by the International Code Council indicating that the UST operator passed the California UST System Operator Exam, and shall provide a copy of said certificate to the San Francisco Department of Public Health on a quarterly basis. This Certified Operator shall not be an employee of Sutro Tower, Inc.
· Monthly Inspections: The Certified Operator shall conduct inspections of all fuel storage tanks at Sutro Tower on a monthly basis pursuant to Cal. Code, Reg. Sec. 2715.
· Quarterly Reports: Sutro Tower, Inc. shall provide the San Francisco Department of Public Health with copies of the monthly inspection reports on a quarterly basis.
· Annual Testing and Inspection: Sutro Tower shall engage an independent, certified testing agency to perform annual leak sensor tests, test and calibrate the automatic leak detection system, test leak and overfill alarms, and inspect the entire fuel system. The San Francisco Department of Public Health shall be notified of the date and time of the annual inspection no less than 48 hours in advance and may observe the procedure, if it deems necessary. A copy of the annual testing and inspection report shall be provided to the San Francisco Department of Public Health.
· DPH Inspections: Sutro Tower, Inc. shall provide the San Francisco Department of Public Health full access to its facilities to inspect the fuel tanks at any time, upon 48 notice to the general manager of Sutro Tower, except in the case of an emergency, in which case no advance notice is required.
AYES: Antonini, Hughes, S. Lee, W. Lee, Olague
ABSENT: Alexander and Bradford Bell