CONSIDERATION OF ADOPTION OF REVISIONS TO THE BOUNDARIES FOR SECTIONS OF THE EASTERN NEIGHBORHOODS - South of Market (generally bounded by Mission, 7th Street, Freeway 80, 4th Street, the Embarcadero, and Folsom). Public hearing on and consideration of amendments regarding the boundaries of the SOMA area excluded from the Eastern Neighborhoods EIR and Eastern Neighborhoods policies, adopted under Planning Commission Motion 16726. The proposal is to exclude areas west of 4th Street and east of Division Street, except the South of Market Earthquake Recovery Redevelopment Project Area from the EIR and Policies.
Jim Meko - SOMA Leadership Council
- The Planning Department's community planning process in SOMA was a failure.
- The SOMA community decided to move forward and do better.
- There was a compromise to draw a line down the middle of Fourth Street and it was decided to let SOMA east of that move ahead, while west of Fourth Street, with the exception of the SOMA PAC, would be removed until there could be some real comprehensive planning done.
- His highest priority is to keep Folsom Street as far east as Fourth Street in the planning process.
- Folsom is going to be the heart of the new South of Market and they will want to have a say in this.
- No one asked for Core PDR anywhere in SOMA.
- He wants a coherent community and not just the leftovers to work with.
Bob Meyers - Yerba Buena Lofts Homeowners Association
- The residents of the south side of Folsom Street and the north side of Clara request that there the two blocks between Fourth and Fifth Street remain in the housing mixed use boundaries that were approved last February and stay included in the EIR.
- He asked that the Commission approve the compromise provided by the community.
Jeffrey Liebovitz - Rincon
- He thanked Jim Meko for pulling together various community meetings.
- Everyone has worked hard for many years to reach a compromise that will benefit everyone.
- He displayed a map showing Fourth Street requesting to be inclusive of both sides of Fourth Street.
- It makes sense to include both sides of Fourth Street going north.
- He seconds the comments of Bob Meyers.
- He would like to keep the boundaries proposed by the community.
David Wilbur - SOMA PAC
- He is the most permissive of all the speakers. He supports the decision from staff.
- To eliminate the blocks from Clementina to the bridge makes absolutely no sense. These blocks should be included in the EIR.
- There are some small blocks on the south side of Harrison Street. If these blocks are not looked at through this process, they will never be looked at again.
- There is some pressure being [exerted] by some very powerful Supervisors on members of Planning saying that if staff does not do what they want, they will be messing around with funding. It is important for staff members to stand up and do the right thing.
ACTION Approved as Amended: The parcels between Clara and Harrison and 4th and 5th Streets and the parcels between Harrison Street and Interstate 80 and 4th and 7th Streets are now excluded from the Eastern Neighborhoods environmental review process and the Eastern Neighborhood Policies.
AYES: Antonini, Boyd, Hughes, W. Lee
ABSENT: Bradford Bell and S. Lee